A Guide To Commercial Kitchen Gas Safety Certificates

Commercial Catering Equipment

A Guide To Commercial Kitchen Gas Safety Certificates

KES Facilities
Friday, February 28th, 2020

Owning, managing, and operating a commercial kitchen successfully is no mean feat. There are so many different things you need to keep on top of, all of the time. Staff, menus, facilities, stock, space, equipment, and of course, safety certificates. Forget about them, and you might as well forget about managing a commercial kitchen.

One of the most important safety certificates in any kitchen is the kitchen gas safety certificate. Let’s look at what that certificate involves, and why you might need one. Whether you’re looking for a certificate renewal or an initial inspection, our KES Facilities engineers are here to help.

What is a Commercial Kitchen Gas Safety Certificate?

It sounds like a mouthful, doesn’t it? But commercial kitchen gas safety certificates are extremely important for safe, regulated use of industrial kitchen equipment.

Since many of these essential items can become potentially hazardous when they’re not maintained or used correctly, they need to be regularly inspected. Leaks, faults, and functionality all need to meet strict criteria that has been established by authorities within the industry.

Additionally, these certificates can only be issued by fully registered and qualified commercial gas engineers. Commercial gas engineers have the training, knowledge, and experience to identify where gas is being used safely – and where it isn’t.

The inspections cover all gas installation and appliances in a commercial kitchen, focusing specifically on the facilities and the equipment within it. Essentially, any commercial kitchen will need to obtain the relevant gas safety certificates, including any of the following:

  • Cafes
  • Restaurants
  • Pubs
  • Staff kitchens
  • Takeaway restaurants and food chains
  • Food production factories

Why Do You Need One?

If you’re reading this article, wondering whether or not you need a commercial kitchen gas safety certificate, then the answer is almost certainly ‘yes’. As someone responsible for a commercial kitchen which has a gas supply and equipment that operates with it, you need a gas safety certificate.

If you or any of your staff members operate this equipment without the appropriate gas safety certificate, then you’ll be breaking the law. And, if the worst should happen and there’s an accident, your insurance won’t pay out without seeing your gas safety certificate first.

It’s worth your time to make sure that you complete a gas safety inspection annually.

What Gas Safety Certificates Are Available?

In the United Kingdom, there are only a few common commercial kitchen gas safety certificates that the majority of kitchens will use.

CP42 – Commercial Gas Safety Inspection (Non-Domestic)

The CP42 gas safety certificate is the most common certificate that our engineers will issue after the relevant inspection. As well as inspecting your equipment and any machinery that has a gas supply to it, our engineers complete a thorough examination of your pipework, gas interlock system, and even the extraction in your kitchen.

CP12 – Landlord Gas Safety Certificate

This one’s slightly different to the CP42 certificate, but it’s still one that our engineers have plenty of experience in awarding. The CP12 still focuses on safe gas use within a property, but is instead specific to landlords that are renting out their property, or rooms within their property.

The majority of homes in the United Kingdom will use gas for heating and hot water. But it’s also widely used for cooking. If you rent a hotel, holiday home, B&B, or even an AirBnB, then you may need to commission a CP12 gas inspection to make sure everything’s safe to use.

Other Commercial Gas Safety Certificates

But there are other gas safety certificates to consider as well. In certain circumstances, you may have to organise a CP16 – Gas Testing and Purging gas inspection. Other certificates include CP17 – Gas Installation Safety Report, and CP15 – Gas Commissioning/Servicing Record.

Commercial Kitchen Gas Safety with KES Facilities

No matter what type of commercial kitchen gas safety certificate you need, you can find out everything you need to know about arranging an inspection by getting in touch with our friendly KES Facilities team.

We’re local to you – no matter where you are in Yorkshire – and we can help you get your CP42 and CP12 certificates quickly and efficiently. That means that if your annual inspection is looming and you’re organising it last minute, we’ll still be able to help.

Our Gas Safe registered commercial catering engineers are fully qualified, professional, and safe inspectors. Our team will work with you to make sure that your commercial kitchen is safe, and that you’re up-to-date with all of the current regulations.